Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new strain of coronavirus which may cause illness in animals or humans. In humans, several coronaviruses are known to cause respiratory infections ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. First identified in a cluster with pneumonia symptoms in Wuhan city, Hubei province of China.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are:
– Dry cough
– Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually.
Note: Not everyone with a cold or upper respiratory symptom needs to get tested for COVID-19. Only a person with a symptoms and travel history can do the test. Additionally, most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment.
How does COVID-19 spread?
– Novel Coronavirus strains are spread from person to person through contaminated droplets from a person who is sick with the illness (through coughing or sneezing) or contaminated hands.
– The virus can spread through touching an infected surface.
– People can also catch COVID-19 if they breathe in droplets from a person with COVID-19 who coughs out or exhales droplets. This is why it is important to stay more than 1 meter (3 feet) away from a person who is sick.
Is there any treatment for COVID-19?
The treatment of COVID-19 depends on enhancing the immunity level of patients, treating the symptoms and easing complications, as there is no specific treatment for the virus to date.
What are the ways to prevent the disease?
– Washing hands with soap and water or using alcohol-based hand rub kills viruses that may be on your hands.
– Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
– Covering mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
– Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth without washing your hands.
– Avoid shaking hands and just wave.
– Avoid nose-to-nose greeting, hugging or kissing others.
– Avoid contact with animals (live or dead).
– Take enough rest and take a large amount of fluids.
Procedures for those arriving to the UAE:
If you have any symptom of a respiratory infection and have travelled to any country with a widespread outbreak of COVID-19, we advise you to do the following:
– Visit the nearest health center or hospital and immediately inform the doctor of your recent travel history and your symptoms.
– Follow the doctor’s instructions, and if you were advised to self-isolate, please avoid any direct contact with people.
– Take the information from reliable sources.
For any medical support or inquiry, please contact:
– “Estijaba” service at the operation center – Department of Health at 8001717
– Ministry of Health & Prevention at 80011111
– Dubai Health Authority at 800342
Coronavirus (COVID 19) Awareness Visual material, Click here.
I am only wondering why the Federal Government is not providing any help on people in need, who are severely suffering from this pandemic.
I did not hear or see that Government in the UAE is providing relief goods to locals or expats?
I want to send out also a Shout-out to UAE authorities amidst COVID-19
I wanted to thank the Government of The UAE and The Dubai Police for their continued support during these uncertain times and keeping this Country safe. Wishing everyone a Blessed month and God Bless 🙏 Thank you